Wednesday 6 April 2016

Bowentown Camp Stories from the Classroom

Bowen town Camp  

 As the weeks pass by, the image of the camping in Bowentown keep coming up in my mind.                  

 It was sunny and a bit windy, we arrived at the camping area early in the morning. There are 35 of us international students in TBC. Mr. T arrived at Bowentown before us as usual. He has been in charge for this camp for the past 7 years.

 We went through some simple instructions and meeting then went down to the beach. It is a long straight beach, and the waves was around 4 feet high, which is huge for a beginning surfer, therefore I got smashed by the waves and the surfboard broke. It was not a good start. However, Mr. T catched the waves easily and surfed from the right far away down to the left. It seems like so easy for him. So I decided to followed and paddled behind him further into the sea, and we waited.

 “If you can wait and not be tired by waiting.” Said by Rudyard Kipling in the poem “If”.
In a minute, we saw there were a good wave coming, it come in slowly, grew bigger and bigger, Mr. T turned back toward the beach and started paddling. He was strong and fast, He just paddled for about 3 seconds then stood up on the board just before the wave flipped over, surfed back to the beach. My paddling was not that strong enough, unfortunately I missed the wave, but at the same time,I realized there was another good one coming after. I kept paddling to put up my speed, then stood up before the wave flipped over become white(which is not a good situation for surfing), I surfed from the right to the left about 10 seconds. And that is definitely worth the work I have done for the past 3 hours. The feeling up the board on the waves, I would never forget. At that time I know I fell in love with surfing.

By Peter

Bowentown Camp

Last week all the international students at Tauranga boys college went to Bowen town for three days camp, but I had a business education programme on wednesday so I only stayed in Bowentown for one night.
On the first day we met all the teachers and Mister T showed us around, then we built our own tent. I lived with all the other Chinese students together. It is quite hard to build the 14 people tent. After that we had our lunch from our homestay then went to the beach. On the beach I taught the new boys how to use a boogie board. We went back our tent after the beach, had a shower then started the BBQ dinner. When night came we played Taleho on the mountain. It was great. We finished at 10 then we all went to sleep.
On the second day we did something different this year, we didn’t run in the morning! Instead we went to Hahei for breakfast then we went to a beach which was called Coromandel and we did snorkeling and had our lunch there. When we got back to Bowentown it was already 5pm so me and three other Chinese boys came straight back to Tauranga cause we had the business programme the next day.
It’s was great in Bowentown. It was the last year for me so I’m sure I will miss it there.

BYE Bowentown :)                                                                                         

By Leo

Bowentown Camp
As time flies, my last time of camp came quietly. It was my second time at camp, so I was quite familiar with the life of camp. But I still forgot something and lost something.
On the first day we stayed at the main surfing beach. We surfed and played lots of water sports.
This year we tried something new. On the second day, we went to Hahei and on a boat trip. This was a whole new experience for us. It is one of the most beauitful beaches in New Zealand. We tried snorking and enjoyed the nice view of the massive coast.
On the last day I went to fishing. By Steven
Peter (China)

Aaron (Hong Kong)

Jacob (Korea)





No comments:

Post a Comment